linux forensics and recovery

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:27:48 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, eric. wrote:

> I am downloading the ISO's and burning them myself with Roxio EZ CD 5.
> Knoppix boots, but with all kinds of errors, culminating in roughly "unable
> to mount vfs; kernel panic."

Not enough information. What are the actual messages?

It may be a hardware issue. You may want to consider asking the knoppix
developers/users list. Be sure to properly explain the steps you did and
the complete error messages. See
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/mail/using-mailing-list.html

I often use recovery CDs. I built my own using NetBSD/i386 1.5.x and
NetBSD/i386 1.6. (They do have ext2fs utilities.) Usually the 1.5.x works
on all systems, but some random hardware it doesn't work with either.

Have a look at dmoz.org. I think it has a category for Linux
recovery/rescue disks. (Or use google to search for the list.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/