Starting a Business

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:50:07 -0500

There's been some really good advice so far.  I incorporated eight years ago,
and it wasn't hard.  I bought a "boilerplate" incorporation kit from a
stationery store, and filed all the relevant paperwork with the corporation
commision.  Yes, your corporate name must be unique in Arizona.  It's also
not a bad idea to look at the Federal Trademark Register - ASU has this on
CD; I think it's in the Hayden library.  That way you can check to see if
your name is unique in the USA.  Of course, this won't protect you from
somebody else taking the name, unless you register it as a Federal trademark.
 (I didn't do that; I think it costs like $300, or at list it used to.  One
of these days I'll do that, unless "Nakota Software" has already been taken.)

Vaughn