web-based email and POP/IMAP access

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:37:46 -0800 (PST)

> From: Scott H <scottlhenderson@yahoo.com>
> I have an Exchange server for company mail for
> about 1400 users.  My boss wants web-based
> email
> and POP/IMAP access from the Internet.  He
> agrees
> with me putting Exchange and Outlook Web Access
> out there is not a good idea, from a security
> standpoint.  So we're looking for a good OSS
> solution.  I know I can use products like
> squirrelmail and Horde's IMP to provide a
> web-based email front end, but how can I
> provide
> POP/IMAP clients access to their Exchange
> mailboxes, without opening up ports to the
> Exchange box?  Is there OSS software that will
> do this?
>
> From: "Brian Tafoya" <btafoya@briantafoya.com>
> Yeah... it is called Sendmail! ;-)
> Now, if the web server running Squirrelmail
> (which is what I use) and the
> exchange server are behind a firewall, that is
> not an issue. Just open
> ports 80/443 to the web server and keep the
> IMPA and POP ports blocked. :)
> Brian Tafoya
>

> From: Mike Starke <meg@lilly.csoft.net>
> I had a similar situation and here is how I had
> it configured:
> 1. Debian/Apache (SSL) running IMP on the
> Intranet side
>    (complete w/LDAP to addressbook)
> 2. OpenBSD Firewall that redirected port 443 to
> server in #1
> 3. #1 was on same LAN as Exchange, so they
> played happily together.
> Never had a problem.
> <snip>
> Mike

I can see from the reponses I got on this
question that I am obviously missing something.
How is it sendmail, squirrelmail, and IMP are all
being recommended to handle (in addition to
operating as a web-based front end) IMAP/POP
proxying in front of an Exchange server?  How do
I configure these to proxy POP or IMAP requests?
(i.e. the user is out on the Internet, with a POP
or IMAP client, the mail is inside the company,
on an Exchange server - I want the client to
connect through our firewall to a Linux box in
the DMZ that will handle/proxy all the POP/IMAP
requests between the client and the Exchange
server inside on the LAN. The reason for this
config is in order to not have to open the
Exchange box to direct connects from the
Internet, for security reasons). If this can be
done with any regular mail server, my preference
would be postfix, as I have experience with it.
Hope this is clear, and thanks again,

Scott

.