OT: Recommended windows software

Mark Phillips plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:59:29 -0700

One possible Windows solution (not open source or Linux) is to use Wingate
(www.deerfield.com) as a proxy server for the cable modem. It can handle
all the issues of redialing and restoring the connection automatically,
pooling modems and lines, etc. I put it on a little 486 box with a NIC
connected to my private LAN. I used it for years on Win 95 and Win 98
before I got a linksys router and only had one problem. I had to reboot the
486 Windows machine once a week because the system would slowly run out of
memory - I assume the OS was leaking over time. But that is what you get if
you use Windows!

Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc.
mark@phillipsmarketing.biz
480 945-0798
480 945-9197 fax

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message,
however, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.