Evolution Export

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:30:01 -0500

Craig White wrote:
> =

> On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 22:59, Bryce C wrote:
> > Does anyone know haow to export Evolution's Contacts to LDIF format s=
o I
> > can move them to an LDAP server. I realize that I can use its "Copy t=
> > Folder" but i want to have it in LDIF instead and go that way.
> >
> -----
> dumb question...
> =

> Can't you just drag and drop them?
> =

> One of the limitations of importing from ldif to ldap is that
> everybody's schema is different which makes it difficult to import an
> ldif.
> =

> Craig
> =

Not a dumb question.

Netscape Messenger exports an LDIF.  For example, here's my PLUG Discuss
address exported:

dn: cn=3DPLUG Discuss,mail=3Dplug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
modifytimestamp: 20011218132407Z
cn: PLUG Discuss
mail: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
xmozillausehtmlmail: FALSE
givenname: PLUG
sn: Discuss
objectclass: top
objectclass: person

To put this into a Directory that does not implicitly understand this
schema is trivial - write a script to append the proper parts to the dn,
then import the new LDIF.  For the example above, the objectclass person
would need to be modified to include the xmozillausehtmlmail attribute,
or the class extended, and that class name added to the LDIF - again,
trivial.

In case anyone is wondering about the modifytimestamp - that's not the
day I joined PLUG - it's the day I exported my address book from the
Windows machine to my current Linux box.

George
-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!