Vinyl LP recording software

Jenny Charlene plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:53:23 -0700

Since I brought this subject up, I thought I'd toss back some info that I've
gathered.
GramoFile - http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/
A xterm program for recording & cleaning up ripped LPs. Since it's an ancient
version (Current version: 1.6(P) - Page last updated: 2001/05/23) in the
Linux world, sound recording doesn't work with my RH 8.0/Athlon w/ built in
sound. But the filtering does work, once I get the turntable from Craig this
weekend, I'll post about the process, and upload some samples. You can hear
the authors test files from a link at the bottom of the home page.

Since that leaves us with no way to get the audio into a file, another program
fills that niche quite nicely:
KHdRecord - http://software.jodda.de/record.html
A really slick little program that can take either line or mic input and
record it to a file in wav/mp3/ogg formats. You can set a minimum threshold
for recording, and have it create a new file after each silence (for
splitting tracks). There's also a client program that lets you stream line in
audio over a network.

If anyone else is interested in ripping LPs. let me know.
--
Take care,
Jenny

Random quote of the day:
	"It's hard to believe that something which is neither seen nor felt can
do so much harm."
	"That's true.  But an idea can't be seen or felt.  And that's what kept
the Troglytes in the mines all these centuries.  A mistaken idea."
		-- Vanna and Kirk, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5819.0