OT: Recommended windows software

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:56:05 -0700

I am leaving my company on the 28th. As a result my boss is requiring me to=
=20
replae our linux server with a windows one.  The linux machine currently ru=
ns
dhcp, dns, ipmasq/routing/firewall/gateway,sendmail, web server, mysql, and=
=20
some other minor things.

I replaced it with win98, but we need some way to share an internet=20
connection. We own a copy of WinProxy but anyone familiar with it will know=
=20
how crappy it is.  But I want some kind of open source solution that will r=
un=20
on the windows machine... It has to be windows because my boss doesn't know=
=20
linux and after a year has shown no interest in learning.

The major problem is we use cable for internet. But it is dialup... Payson =
is=20
about 20 years behind the times on everything...
So if we are not online, we have a local IP address 192.168.100.11-254
When we dialup, we get a normal internet IP... But if the cable modem drops=
=20
the line (which is quite often) we will retain the internet IP, then other=
=20
machines can no longer get to the cable modem web page to dialup. The linux=
=20
machine was easily fixed with a simple script, but windows won't do that. S=
o=20
this has to be as simple as possible. I need some kind of intelligent gatew=
ay=20
program that will allow proxying, for email and www.

Any suggestions?

nathan

=2D --=20
Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov