RMS and GNU/Linux (again)

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
16 Feb 2003 15:10:22 -0700

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 09:21, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > I'm am admirer of RMS, but I thought it curious that he agreed to speak at the
> > New York Linux Scene Fundraiser in January
> > (http://pw1.netcom.com/~casandra/linux/jan24_nylxs.html) since there is no
> > mention of GNU in their name? Maybe money talks even if you have principles.
>
> Stallman is lots of things.  A sellout is not one of them.  He supports
> the EFF, NYLXS and many organizations based on their ideology regardless
> of whether they have anything to do with the GNU project.
>
> He requests GNU/Linux over Linux because he wants the folks that have
> worked so hard to make GNU/Linux the operating system a reality get
> credit.  If it were an ego/selfish thing he would ask that it be called
> RMS/Linux.
>
> Anyhow, I dont wish to dispute whether or not Linux should have GNU in
> front of it.  I think its a matter of personal opinion and people should
> do as they choose.  I do think it is wrong to imply RMS sold out to
> NYLXS.
>
> In particular most people that have never met RMS dont like him because
> he remains consistent on positions and does not waiver.  His rhetoric,
> whether liked or unliked, has remained the same over the last 20 years.
> This is so uncommon, it makes people uncomfortable.  Those that have met
> him in person of course dislike him for other reasons. ;)

------
Our collecting thinking is always influenced by the language that we use
and thus, his insistence upon calling it GNU/Linux makes sense. There
are so many companies selling Linux that his label is for the purpose of
identifying what it is that we are talking about.

There are some that think that RedHat 'is' Linux which of course, could
not possibly be true. But to label the underlying kernel GNU/Linux
prevents that or similar assumptions...which in the advent of Lindows,
seems to be becoming more important all the time.

Craig