Learning something new

Aaron Cordova plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:30:28 +0000

      I cant really say that the free software movement was my motivation to
give GNU/Linux a shot. The truth is that I wanted to learn more abou
computers and windowz started to hinder my progress. Since Windows solves
its own problems, or M$ wont admit the problem really exists, It was hard to
figure out why something failed at one point but worked later after a reboot
or a shutdown.
      When I have a problem with my GNU/Linux box I know where to turn for
answers then I am able to solve the problem without a complete re-install of
the OS. For instance I have just been fighting with a piece of source code
for two days now. It would build with no problems but installed in a funny
place. This program was a dependency of another that I wanted to install and
was causing my a major headache.
     So after two hours this morning I finally discovered where the program
was putting its shared libraries, /usr/local/lib. And for some reason
/usr/local/lib was not in ldconfigs path. I know this is not some major
event for most of you PLUG member out there but to me this was a huge
conquest and I learned alot more about my OS.
     Well now I gotta try to find out why OpenGL dissapeared from my window$
machiene, good luck.

Aaron