removing a group

Arizona Adams plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
15 Feb 2003 22:35:52 -0700

Yes, it's very, very important to use a consistent manner in adding user
names/groups.  It's often the first thing that goes wrong.
Additionally, the shadow file is an important file, but if the group or
user does not exist, it throws the ball back to you.  It's important to
not touch the shadow file unless you are very sure of yourself and know
exactly why you are fixing something there.  It has a tendency to throw
more than just a little bit of a fit when you mess with it.

I have also found that adding a user works by creating directories and
adding to files in a certain pattern as is evident by the adduser file.
Additionally, when you remove a user properly, it removes all file line
items, directories and such in the reverse pattern.  If this does not
happen, you may need to try another switch such as -R, meaning
recursive.

Hope this further helps in your endeavors.

Kimi Adams