Linux partitions

Kevin Geiss plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:33:52 -0700

for /boot I usually make it about 30mb just to be ridiculously excessive.

I like to have /var and /tmp in their own partitions. they get a bunch
of small files written to them and deleted constantly. that way you
don't have to worry about fragmentation in other places. 512mb is nice for each of these, you have room.

for swap unless you know you will be stressing the system a lot, just
slightly more than physical ram should be fine. 2x is excessive (unless
you only have 64mb ram or less). but in general, the more ram you have,
the less swap you need.

for /home, I usually create a partition of 2 or 3 gb.

then a 8gb /usr partition would be plenty big.

with all those partitions, you will only need 256mb or less for the /
(root) partition.

then with all the rest of the space you have left, just make one big
partiton that you can use for isos, mp3s, movies, pictures, whatever. I
mount that one as /data