mySQL or PostgreSQL?

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:42:21 -0700

Keep in mind, I'm not countering to be difficult, merely complete.  :-)

\_ SMTP quoth Derek Neighbors on 2/13/2003 12:14 as having spake thusly:
\_ [...]
\_ Places I see MySQL falling short for Enterprise Applications.
\_
\_ 2. To my knowledge MySQL is not ACID compliant, Postgres is.

http://www.mysql.com/press/release_2002_11.html
"MySQL now includes the ACID-compliant InnoDB ..."

The same *press release* says that Ziff Davis benchmarked MySQL and
others (but not PG) and MySQL and Oracle were the happy leaders.  They
link to:

\_ 4. Unicode support does not exist for MySQL.

Coming in 4.1, so the site says.

\_ 5. Stored Procedures are not supported in MySQL.

... in 5.0.  Also you can extended mysql through dynamic libs now.

YMMV.

David