running as user nobody

Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:34:09 -0700 (MST)

Am 29. Jan, 2003 schw=E4tzte Lynn David Newton so:

moin, moin,

I'm several hundred emails behind, so forgive me if I'm reiterating what
someone else said...

> What exactly is the significance of the user nobody?

It is meant to have no privileges.

The problem is that it gets overloaded. Web servers run as nobody. So do a
few other services. Root, when allowed to NFS or FTP runs as nobody by
default.

What you end up with is bleedover if one of those services gets cracked.
Exactly what you're trying to avoid. FTP isn't bad since it runs in a chroo=
environment. The web daemon also is theoretically locked down.

It is generally encouraged to give each service its own no privilege user t=
avoid cracking one service to compromise another.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans