RedHat Printing

Stephen Andert plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:00:43 -0700

Hi all,

I don't know if I need an intro to linux printing or just a push in the
right direction in getting this setup correctly.  I've tried RTFM'ing (till
my eyes are sore and several linux books strewn about my desk:)

RedHat 7
Epson Stylus Photo 820.

www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_820

says that this is supported and the recommended driver is gimp-print but
does not give any directions on how to use it.

When I use printtool and test direct to port, I get one line that says "This
text should appear on the printer on /dev/lp0".
When I try ASCII test or PostScript test page I get many pages of random
characters.

I've got the Epson Stypus Color 800 (which is the closest I found usint
Printtool).

Can someone either give me a quick rundown on what I need to do or where I
can find good step-by-step directions to get this working?

My next question will probably be getting my remaining Windows pc's to print
on this printer.

TIA
Stephen