Dust, Electronic Equipment and Heat

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:13:40 -0500

"David A. Sinck" wrote:

> \_ SMTP quoth Christopher Bardin on 2/12/2003 09:02 as having spake thusly:
> \_
> \_ Newer computers dissipate so much power that they require forced
> \_ cooling.  The cheapest cooling solution is to blow ambient air into
> \_ the computer with a fan, air inevitably containing dust which, for
> \_ some reason I can't explain, settles out of the air and coats the
> \_ innards of the computer.
>
> Possibly ambient electrostic charge.
>
> \_ You could use a computer as a pretty efficient air filter.  I clean
> \_ the dust out of my computer twice a year, using the exhaust of my
> \_ vacuum cleaner as a blower, and I'm always amazed by the resulting
> \_ cloud of dust.
>
> Bah.  I'm on a pretty much 2 month cycle of applications of the leaf
> blower.  I don't know where all the blasted dust is coming from, but I
> do know that the leaf blower makes it go away.
>
> Maybe the new carpeting (long story) will help and duct filters on the
> output in the room will help.
>
> David

You live in the middle of a DESERT!!!  Where do you think the dust comes
from?
</tongue in cheek>

I would caution all you 60HP leaf blowers to ground your computer and
your blowers.  High velocity air has a tendency to generate static
electricity, especially in areas of low humidity (like the DESERT!!!),
which can do bad things to your motherboard.

George