Waging War on Business

Lee Einer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:43:42 -0700

What one is guilty of in this case is breach of contract, assuming that
there has been a service (provision of the software) in return for a
consideration (you paid for it,) this assuming that there was a common
understanding of the terms of the contract when it was entered into. The
EULA, of course, is the contract, although I don't know how legit it is
not to divulge the EULA until after the transaction has occurred.
Violating the terms of a EULA is not piracy, nor theft. I am even
somewhat doubtful that this is copyright infringement.

What scares me about all of this is that our government is so completely
the whore of large corporations that laws like the DMCA and the BSA,
etc, which are strongly in the interest of a few large corporations and
clearly against the interests of the citizenry get passed into law
routinely. Assuming that these laws backfire by encouraging the use of
free software, don't you think that the next round of legislation will
be directed at  squelching free software?

Lee Einer