Waging War on Business

shadow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:59:40 -0700

daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> nah.  Ill call it what it is.  theft.  If somebody is selling something
> and I take that something without paying for it, that is theft.  it does
> not matter what it is.  i.e.  if I use my friends copy of WinXP on my box
> without paying for it, its theft.  If I get permission from MS to do this,
> it is no longer theft because they gave it to me.

Be careful of your definitions.  The generic use of "theft" as you use
above is not entirely correct.  Theft implies that you are depriving
someone of the ability to use the item stolen.  If I steal your wheel
barrow, you cannot use it anymore.

This is not true for intellectual property (i.e. software).  When you
use software that is not licensed, you are infringing on copyright, not
stealing.  The maker still has access to the "stolen" property.  If I
photographed the plans to build a wheel barrow, you can still use the
plans to build one yourself.  While infringing upon copyright may
depriving the maker from revenue and be morally wrong, it is copyright
or patent infringement, not theft or stealing.

Why do I nitpick on this point?  Too many people think that physical
property laws apply equally to intellectual property space.  This is not
and cannot be the case due to inherent differences in their beings.  We
need to educate people to think differently about intellectual property
or we will never gain any ground in the fight for the free flow of
information and ideas.

--
Chris Lewis
shadow@digitalnirvana.com