Waging War on Business

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:00:29 -0700 (MST)

> nah.  Ill call it what it is.  theft.  If somebody is selling something
> and I take that something without paying for it, that is theft.  it does
>  not matter what it is.  i.e.  if I use my friends copy of WinXP on my
> box  without paying for it, its theft.  If I get permission from MS to
> do this,  it is no longer theft because they gave it to me.

No its not.

Example:  Say I own Windows 95.  I have the disk, I install it on a second
computer.  I have violated copyright.  Are you going to argue that I have
stolen something?  Virtually you are saying that you want to prosecute
yourself for stealing from yourself.  Which just doesnt make sense.

MOST violations are not someone, buying an "illegal" copy.  Rather it is
one person using a "legal" copy multiple times for themselves (or their
business).  Legally theft and copyright infringement are different things,
thus we need to discuss them as different things.

-Derek