Waging War on Business

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:27:15 -0700 (MST)

William Lindley said:
> How do you spell extortion? BSA, RIAA, DMCA
> (InfoWorld)  By Tom  Yager January 31, 2003

First lets be realistic.  This is the BEST thing that can happen for Free
Software.  The more militant that these groups become, the more they drive
people to Free Software.

> In Dallas , the Business Software Alliance (BSA) is running radio ads
> offering amnesty to businesses. Confess your companywide software piracy
> before the end of February, the announcer gently offers, and you'll only
> have to pay your overdue license fees. That seems reasonable enough, but
> then the ad turns dark. If you have just one disgruntled ex-employee out
> there, a BSA spokesperson intones, his call to the BSA could cost you
> $150,000 for each user it deems unlicensed. One disgruntled ex-employee,
> one competitor, one vendor that couldn't sell you a license renewal -- a
> tip's a tip.

This is nothing new.  Over a year ago I got propoganda in the mail for my
business.

http://goats.gnue.org/~dneighbo/freedom/back.jpg
http://goats.gnue.org/~dneighbo/freedom/front.jpg

The "nazi" quote of the day for that mailing was:

"Unless you have no past or current unhappy employees, you're only one
phone call away from being the target of a BSA investigation.  This is not
a traffic ticket."  -- Bob Kruger : Vice President BSA

-Derek