Removing a user.

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:51:49 -0500

Scott wrote:
[snip]
> > so I decided a new nane wasa in order because it would not accept 'te=
st'.

> > [root@localhost bmike1]# adduser -m Downloadtest -d /home3
> >
> > and I thought "Better make sure it is where I want it.
> >
> > [root@localhost bmike1]# updatedb
> > locate [root@localhost bmike1]# locate Downloadtest
> > /var/spool/mail/Downloadtest
> =

> This command is not ideal for finding the just created home directory.
> Locate is going to look for all files that are owned by the specified
> user.  Hmmmm..... now that I think about it, it should have found the h=
ome
> directory - unless for some reason its not owned by Downloadtest.  Try =
the
> finger command.  Using my account as an example, it would look somethin=
> like this:
> =

> finger sbrews
> login: sbrews           name: scott
> directory: /home/sbrews ...
> =

> complete output not pasted - but you get the idea.  Note the directory =
for
> the user.

locate reads from a database that is generated once per day.  No way
will it ever find freshly created directories.  To make it do so, issue
the updatedb command as root.

Finger is a really neat tool for collecting more information than you
really want to let out.  Please don't use finger on a system connected
to the Internet.

Find the GUI tool - it will help you admin your system without breaking
it. =

George
-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!