Heat problems

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:19:27 -0500

Michael Havens wrote:
> =

> I was just thinking,
> I had switched to using Linux just before it cooled down. The machine s=
tarted
> acting strangely and some amigos told me that I needed a fan in because=
 that
> was my problem. The question I have is where do I put it? Can/should I =
put it
> on top of the fan that is already in there or is there somewhere else i=
> should go. Another point that I ponder on is why is it only with Linux =
and
> Not Window$ that I have this problem. Does Linux make the CPU work hard=
er? If
> that is the case, how and why is that so?
> --
> :-)~Mike~(-:

Hi Mike,

Actually, Linux is easier on your CPU than Windows.  Windows runs a
continuous loop waiting for something to happen.  Linux waits until
something happens.

I had a heat problem and never knew it.  As a Windows box, it would run
for 3-6 days, then crash.  Strangly, as a Linux box, it would run for
3-6 days, then crash.  I changed out the CPU cooler and installed a huge
monster cooler, and now it never locks up.

The internal temperature of the computer was higher than I would like,
so I added a fan to the front to suck in more air.  This helped quite a
bit.  Now my power supply fan is beginning to fail, which is causing
temps to go up again.

Before you address the problem, you really need to know the symptoms,
which means you need to collect data.  What is your CPU temp?  What
about the board temp?  These you can find out by installing the sensors
package and monitoring the temp.

Crude test to see if you need a case fan: Open your case - does temp
lower and the CPU stabilize?

Crude test for different CPU cooler: is the CPU too high?  If it's too
hot to touch, you have a problem.  Mine is:
CPU Temp: +39.4=B0C   (limit =3D +56=B0C, hysteresis =3D +54=B0C) =

SYS Temp: +30.2=B0C   (limit =3D +40=B0C, hysteresis =3D +35=B0C) =

I set my alarm setpoint low to give me adequate warning of a problem.  I
think 80=B0C is the manufuacturer's operational limit.

Pumping more air through the case helps dissipate the heat rejected from
the CPU.  If you let it build up, even the best CPU cooler will not help
much.

George
-- =

Registered Linux User #67389    | Free Computer Security Information
Registered: 1998-01-29          | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
Be counted! Visit Linux Counter | =

<http://counter.li.org>         | Lock your box - keep your affairs
private!