more MySQL issues

mazdaracer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:27:55 -0800

I thought I had things figured out from the last msg from George. But
when I got back on this morning, I see I can get into the mysql DB
without a password as a regular user (me, pete). Also, in webmin, I can
easily see everything too. The password for the DB is different from my
regular root password, but still no prompting. Here's the output from
this morning:

[pete@rotor pete]$ mysqlshow
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| Phoenix   |
| mysql     |
| test      |
+-----------+
[pete@rotor pete]$ mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 22 to server version: 3.23.55

mysql> use Phoenix
Database changed
mysql> show tables;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> use mysql

Database changed
mysql> show tables;
+-----------------+
| Tables_in_mysql |
+-----------------+
| columns_priv    |
| db              |
| func            |
| host            |
| tables_priv     |
| user            |
+-----------------+
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select User,Host,Password from user;
| User | Host                     | Password         |
| root | localhost                | 77f55a9e14442c8f |
| root | rotor.byerlyelectric.com | 77f55a9e14442c8f |
2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql>

With only root in the DB I would think I'd be prompted each and every time.

pete