Bad Sectors

Garrett plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:17:57 -0700

I was referring to the tests run by chkdsk/fsck/whatever on individual
sectors, and that the results may differ with each pass if the drive is
truly flaking out. Personally I would make a few passes with badblocks if
the drive's integrity ever came into question. It should also be considered
that chkdsk probably uses different criteria for making a block as "bad"
than badblocks, so what one tool would ignore the other would flag as "bad".

Regardless, keep a backup of your important data handy. ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan England" <plug@the-arcanum.org>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: Bad Sectors

I thought there was a way to map out the bad blocks so the file system
wouldn't use them. If they were marked bad, they wouldn't be used. Is that
not true? And if I can isolate where the blocks are, then partition the
drive
around that, should it be okay? Or are the blocks 'contagious' ? lol

Am 05 Wednesday February, 2003 17:31 schrieb Garrett:
> Could also be that the drive will fail soon. Perhaps when chkdsk (or
> whatever) was testing it, the test criteria caused it to believe xyz
> sectors were bad. If the drive is flaky, those tests could have different
> results when you run them again. It's always good to keep a backup, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if that drive eats some data of yours in the next
> year or two.
>
> Garrett

I'm

> using
>
> > > it now. It seems okay and I have filled it, deleted stuff, then filled
>
> it
>
> > > again. What is the deal with bad blocks? Are they really repairable?
> > > Are
>
> they
>
> > > not being used? Or am I going to be having problems soon?
> > >
> > > I don't know how the actual hardware works...
> > >
> > > nathan

- --
Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
- --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov