using dd to backup entire hard drive

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 12:56:44 -0700

On Friday 31 January 2003 07:31, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> >Yowzah
> >
> >Booted, tested, indistinguishable from other hard drive with the
> >exception that the 1st hard drive was a 4GB and fully partitioned
> >whereas the backup hd was an 8GB and it had 4GB unpartitioned.
> >
> >Craig
>
> WooHoo!  I'm gonna do it next this weekend!
>
> Alan

Worked great for me, too!

I had a 10GB disk that dual boots Win98 and Red Hat Linux 8.0 using grub.
- I attached the new 20GB hard drive as the slave on the secondary IDE bu=
s,=20
temporarily taking the place of my ZIP drive.
- I booted from the CD with my Red Hat System Administrator's Survival CD=
=2E=20
(I'm sure any CD bootable Linux would have been fine.)
- I issued the command "dd if=3D/dev/hda of=3D/dev/hdd"  You'll note I fo=
rgot the=20
"bs=3D512" and that worried me but I figured I would just let it run anyw=
ay.
- When it completed in about 40 minutes (I think?  Maybe less.  Should ha=
ve=20
timed it.), I reconnected the ZIP drive and connected the new 20GB drive =
in=20
place of the original boot drive.
- It boots like nothing happened!  All is normal.

Now I need to learn how to use the parted utility to partition all that b=
lank=20
space!

Alan