How much power?

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 11:23:23 -0700

> I have laptop is a pentium 75 Mhz with 32 MB ram, what sort of
> applications can I run... Mail, Internet (assuming no flash or other
> crap), simple text editing?
>
> Am a I nuts? Don't answer that.
> I have been looking at the system requirments for some fairly normal
> software (OO, mozilla) and these things eat a ton of ram and Mhz's? I
> had a 486 that I remember runing symilar applications on so what the
> changed?
> It gets me that many applications don't even have their sys req
> prominant on their websites...

I have a P150 laptop that I have no trouble running OO or Mozilla on.  Due to
the fact that it only has 2MB video mem I don't run any graphics intensive WM
(KDE, Gnome, etc...).  I use it for a number of things including playing my mp3
collection while on the road and running GPSDrive (gps mapping software for
linux).  Most software doensn't post their sys requirements because they will
run on any cpu as long as you meet the library dependencies.