Dummy lan question

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:39:58 -0400

Robert,
Thanks for your reply.  I've found a solution, almost accidentally.  To start
with, I thought the problem might have been that Mandrake had a problem with
the integral NIC on the new motherboard, so I installed a spare PCI Netgear
board.  Mandrake found it but this one wouldn't work either.  I even tried
installing an older Mandrake (8.0.)  That's when I got a funny error message
with a penguin icon - didn't stop the install, but it said something like
"Only one processor found."  I figured I must have accidentally enabled SMP,
even though the board only has a slot for one.  Perusing the BIOS options
revealed something called APIC that was enabled by default.  I did a Google
search and saw a message that mentioned APIC and SMP in the same sentence,
so I disabled APIC (though it really seems to have more to do with PCI
interrupt assignments.)  And it worked!  Not only did the network problems go
away, but my problems with the SCSI adapter went away as well.  Go figure.

Vaughn