ISO copies of DVDs; DMCA

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:30:38 -0700

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:
> =

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, David Huerta wrote:
> =

> > Seeing how it has not been released to the public, I doubt MTV or any=
 of
> > the publishers involved would care; they wouldn't be losing any money=
 if
> > the materials were copied, because they wouldn't be making money anyw=
ay,
> > like my copy of the unreleased Invader Zim soundtrack.
> =

> Just because something hasn't been released to the public doesn't mean
> that it is public domain or freely distributable. (By default, it is
> probably copyrighted.)
> =

>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/
> =

By default, material is subject to enjoying copyright protection as soon
as it is set into a tangible media, even if the copyright statement is
missing.  Lack of copyright statement limits the remedies available (to
usually an injunction).  =

Positive action is required to put something into the Public Domain such
as a statement indicating the work is PD - lack of action still makes it
copyrighted.

George
-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!