Aztec Freenet seeks volunteers

Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:11:05 -0700 (MST)

Am 27. Apr, 2003 schw=E4tzte Dennis Kibbe so:

> Does anyone remember Aztec Freenet? They offer free test-based internet &=
 e-mail
> service. I still have an account there and check it once a month just to =
stay
> current. Aztec has moved from ASU after eight years and now has space tha=
nks to
> EMR. Aztec is looking for volunteers to help update the system. I don't k=
now if
> they will offer the Premium service (PPP, Mozilla, etc.) for $100/yr like=
 is
> offered in Canada. I think for now it's just pine & lynx.

AZOTO has started working with AzTeC. We are hoping to have pop service and
maybe allow web-browsing.

Currently they need someone to help with SunOS 4.1.4 administration.

They've investigated a couple of paths to move off the really old software
base over to a new system that runs on Linux. I, personally, hope we can
come up with the configuration glue that makes it possible to provide the
services they want via standard applications.

This has a potential of being a locally run Juno-like service, but they nee=
some help.

We'll also need help from current and past AzTeC members to help us
transition the user interface and make sure we don't forget any features
that should be kept.

ciao,

der.hans