OT: Surface-Mount Parts Repair

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:57:09 -0700

     I need to replace a surface-mount part due to mechanical damage to t=
he=20
old one. It's on the processor board in a notebook computer. Markings on =
the=20
itsby-bitsy little broken part (lead broken off) are "33-6" and a stripe =
next=20
to one of the two connections. The board is marked "C33" and one connecti=
on=20
is marked "+". The part is approximately 2x2x3 mm (maybe less).
     A couple of questions:
1) I'm guessing this is a 33 ufd tantalum capacitor. Agree?
2) Assuming I get a tiny-tip soldering iron, is this something a mere hum=
an is=20
likely to be able to replace or would I be better off taking it somewhere=
=20
(WHERE?) and letting someone else do it who has "the proper equipment?"
3) Where in town can I find the part (I've already been to Fry's on=20
Thunderbird and Tri-Tek Electronics on Peoria, both in the NW quarter of =
the=20
Valley)? Apparently 33 ufd is larger than most places stock.
     TIA!

--=20
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/