postfix

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:41:46 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Kimi Adams" <azadams@qwest.net>
> Does anyone have any knowledge of flush?  This
> seems to be managed by qmgr to run but I can't
> seem to find a way to get it to talk to
> postfix.  My logs say:
> Apr 21 18:05:24 matrix postfix/qmgr[8805]:
> warning: unable to talk to
> fast flush service
> Apr 21 18:05:24 matrix postfix/qmgr[8805]:
> E8964A2A74: from=<>,
> size=3719, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
> Apr 21 18:05:24 matrix postfix/qmgr[8805]:
> E8964A2A74:
> to=<root@kimi.unitywave.com>, relay=none,
> delay=15144, status=deferred
> (connect to kimi.unitywave.com[65.39.78.58]: No
> route to host)Apr 21
> 18:05:24 matrix postfix/qmgr[8805]: warning:
> unable to talk to fast
> flush service
>
> I did not set this up but I need to change the
> IP address to my box from
> my server.  I have looked everywhere in the
> files and man pages but I am
> rather lost.

>From Jeremy Reed:
> Make sure you have up-to-date postfix installed
> (and your configurations
> updated as appropriate).
>
> Maybe you can disable with:
>  fast_flush_domains =
>
> Also check your flush service in you master.cf.
> It might be something
> like:
> flush     unix  n       -       n       1000?
> 0       flush

I have Richard Blum's 2001 book titled "Postfix"
and although it might not match up with your
version exactly (yours is pre mid 2000), I'm
guessing this part hasn't changed much. Anyway,
to stop using the fast flush, in
/etc/postfix/main.cf, change (or add) the line:

fast_flush_policy = none

(reload or restart postfix after this edit)

(other options for fast flush policy are "all"
-to always allow fast flush, and "relay" -where
only hosts defined as relays sites are allowed to
use fast flush).

But I'm guessing fast flush isn't really your
problem.  Fast flush is just a more efficient way
of passing mail between mail servers, using ETRN
(if you don't know about that, ignore for now).

It SEEMS rather, that postfix simply unable to
route your mail.  Can you pass ANY mail through
your system?  In your log snippet, it says:
(connect to kimi.unitywave.com[65.39.78.58]: No
 route to host).  Some more questions: Can you
ping this mail host?  Can you ping back the other
direction?  Is there a firewall involved?  Can
you make a manual connection to port 25 using
telnet?

/scott

.