AOL ... really does rock

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:32:10 -0700

Ok, now that I have your attention, I'd like to point out I put a lot
of words between 'AOL' and 'rocks' so 'AOL rocks' wouldn't show up on
a suck-o-meter page anyway.

Anyway, you're wondering what's motivating this, no doubt.

Well, it all started with a loaner laptop from work.  A toshiba 1625
cdt with win95 on it.  Equipped with a winmodem.  I'm going to be in
TX soon for a bit, and figured if I could connect 'properly' it would
be better than doing the cygwin dance.

So, after a few dances, presto!  Boot to linux, networking supplied by
aol dialup via a winmodem.  I thought it suprisingly easy.  Net time
to implement was < 20m and that included "crapola, that's probably a
winmodem isn't it".

I do confess to having previously config'd aol/linux before when cox
was being flakey at an inopportune time, but still, that was all of
five mintes of reading the conf files and editing.

For those interested, the freshmeat project was 'penggy', formerly
'peng', formerly 'pengaol' iirc.  The winmodem code is proprietary,
but it *worked out of the tarball*.  Even handled compiling against a
'custom' kernel (latest rh7.3).  My mom could install it.

If she had root.  :-)

I'd give a link for the winmodem/linmodem, but I was surfing for a
goal, not thinking about writing it up for plug... at that point.
Google will get it, I'm sure.

YMMV.

David
	Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.
		Mark Stout