OSS In the Office

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:21:10 -0700

Jim wrote:
> =

> Obviously, company #1 hasnt read their EULAs.
> =

> On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 13:11, George Toft wrote:
> > I have two opposing tales to tell from two different companies with v=
ery
> > large employee bases.
> > 1.  OpenSource and Shareware are specifically prohibited as there is
> > nobody to sue if a failure disrupts productivity or damages data.  Al=
so,
> > by using OSS instead of contractually ($$$) supported software means
> > there is no liability on the part of the OSS provider for recovering
> > damages.
[snip]

I know - been there, done that.  EULA says they aren't responsible for
squat, but when a company with 12,000 workstations and $6B in revenue
complains to MS, they do listen (and take the CEO out for more golf,
etc).

George
-- =

Discover . . .         | Free Computer Security Information
        <=B7=B7=B7> Secure   | http://www.georgetoft.com/security
         Networking    | =

@http://georgetoft.com | Lock your box - keep your affairs private!