pppd hangs after connecting with a winmodem

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:04:09 -0700 (PDT)

Trying to set up an older box for Mom: P110, 32M
RAM, with RH 7.0.  She has an MSN acct (don't
start it :)  and a Lucent PCI winmodem. (this is
starting to sound like putting a round peg in a
square hole, I know :)  Anyway, I downloaded and
installed winmodem_linux586.zip and can
successfully query the modem now using kppp. But
when it dials, it seems to do an authentication,
then pppd hangs the whole box hard and leaves a
popup box with a message "the pppd daemon died
unexpectedly".  If I quickly switch to Ctl-Alt-F1
before the box loses all response, I see among
other things "Kernel panic: attempted to kill the
idle task".  Per one suggestion I found, I
commented out the lock line in /etc/pppd/options,
so that only kppp is locking the modem.  I've
tried CHAP, PAP, and scripting the
authentication. I've tried various settings for
the modem, but can't seem to get anything to fix
this. Suggestions???

/scott

.