Computer from Slack9 meeting raffle, Part 2

David Huerta plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:46:32 -0700

The video card will working well... sorta, but I have a spare just in
case.  The CD-ROM was previously tested on another machine and is
working well, although it is IDE and not SCSI, which might or might not
be complicating things (I have no experience with SCSI hardware).  The
machine is located at Glendale and 19th Ave.  I'll see if I can jot down
the errors and post them on the list.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of
technomage
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 1:39 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Computer from Slack9 meeting raffle, Part 2

ouch,
like I said at the meeting, its was something sitting on my bench.
some of the problems I had with a box or 2 involved the clunky multi-I/O

video..
did this one have a video card in it or no?

as for the cpu falling out, I hadn't expected that one.
there is a bios on board, not sure about booting from the cd.
you may want to make sure the cables are tight on the cdrom. it may also
be a
bad cdrom unit.

I never did have time to fully test those boxes. they were taking up
room and
I got them for free anyway.

is there a way you can save off the errors and send them my way. I'll
probably
know whats up when i see the errors.

also, what part of town you in, I may be able to drop by and have a
close up
look-see.

Mage

On Thursday 17 April 2003 10:59 pm, David Huerta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Myself and a few friends have been trying to get Linux installed on
one
> of the computers given away at the last Eastside meeting.  We've
> experienced some major obstacles, such as the problems of the
processor
> falling out its socket, the CD-ROM drive not being detected, etc, but
> what we have yet to be able to do is get the thing to boot from a CD.
> Its perfectly capable of booting from floppies, however, and we've
been
> able to create a Knoppix boot floppy which works fine for a bit, but
> suddenly hits a snag after it probes for hardware, when it starts
> crashing and presents a shell limited to six commands.  I was able to
> get inside something that looked a little like BIOS at startup,
however,
> it had no options for the boot sequence.  Any ideas on how to get
> Slackware installed on this box?
>
> /* David Huerta */

- --
numbered!