suggestions for 'value added services' on the plug website

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:20:00 -0700 (MST)

Bob George said:
> On Thursday 17 April 2003 12:45 am, technomage wrote:
>> [...]
>> /sarcasm on
>> gee, thank you for your "support"!
>> /sarcasm off
>
> I know the irc server is your pet project, technomage. Don't take any of
> this  personally! We do appreciate what you've done. Just there are
> limitations  that we should look at honestly.

Yes the point was not to put down the efforts you have done this far.

>> if I had the funds to go to freenode, I wouldn't be running it off my
>> braodband. [...]
>
> Isn't freenode FREE? I was on the Toronto LUG mailing list and asked
> about an  IRC channel, and they've since set up a very popular
> #toronto-lug channel. I  know there's a procedure for establishing a
> channel and reserving op ids.

Freenode is indeed free.  In all senses.  In fact, that is one reason they
changed the name from openprojects to freenode.

>> [...]
>> IM is a wonderful tool, but I think its not exactly designed for what
>> I have in mind here....
>
> Well, since Java has been deemed evil, and other IM systems are
> proprietary  <g>, there's no reason we couldn't have a jabber server
> established with an  IRC transport linked to the channel. I don't know
> that there would be enough  IM (much less JABBER IM) users to make it
> worthwhile though. The good news is  that when/if this is done, it has
> no impact on the IRC server itself, so  could be a separate project
> altogether.

When I talked about Jabber IM, I specifically said IRC gateway.  I was not
implying that we should use IM, but rather users of Jabber need not leave
their IM client to participate on IRC.

-Derek