Transferring users

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:04:25 -0700 (MST)

Am 15. Apr, 2003 schw=E4tzte Kyle Faber so:

> =09The system in question is an authetication system.(radius)  I am tryin=
g to
> create a backup machine for this system, but the users are based on PAM. =
> want to be able to take a snapshot of the users on system A at the end of=
 the
> day and copy it over to system B in case A craps out.  NFS wouldn't work =
in
> this case if, for instance, the hard drive is the piece that craps out.

OK, so you need the two of them to be the same. A is the live box where all
changes are made and B gets the copies, right? As long as A is the
single-point of entry and B becomes A for such purposes should A go off the
air, then you can use something like unison or rsync. You could also use th=
command feature of ssh.

The radius server only needs auth info, right? No actual user dirs or files=
,
right?

Alternatively, you could use useradd to create the new accounts on B. "-p"
will let you give them a crypt(3) passwd. If you're using something else,
you'd want to give them "yyy" or something for the crypt passwd, then use a
scripts to replace that string in /etc/shadow.

If you really want this to be failover look at the heartbeat projects as
well.

I'd even suggest making updates to B when A is updated or setup a pull that
runs every 5 minutes. Low traffic, so the limiting factor is the security
hazard associated with connecting.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans