Lindows

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
05 Apr 2003 22:12:25 -0700

--=-74bN9mqpNzbg46SwTbSC

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 09:11, Kyle Faber wrote:
> On Saturday 05 April 2003 06:44 am, Ed Skinner wrote:
> >      My guess is you will want to have (or develop, or hire/contract) a
> > fair bit of expertise with WINE regardless of what Lindows (or RedHat, =
for
> > that matter) does. And even with that, you'll want to set the expectati=
ons
> > of others carefully. There will be those for whom a Microsoft Operating
> > System will remain as the best choice.

My two cents are if you are going with a Debian based distro, just use
Debian.  You will be MUCH happier in the long run.  You are much better
off not being tied to some corporation that may vanish tomorrow. (imho)

> 	My expectation is that I will probably have two or three engineers fire =
up a=20
> vmware instalation the two times per week that they need to design or rev=
iew=20
> a few parts.
>=20
> 	Why vmware?  $300 per chair is cheap compared to the rest of the applica=
tions=20
> I can supply for free on their primary Linux desktop, as well as the=20
> inconvienece of rebooting.  That and vmware can be a memory hog.  Its not=
=20
> something you want to leave open all the time, thus eliminating the=20
> "omni-present freeware" installs that happen fairly regularly on win32=20
> platforms.  It will be awhile before those programs migrate to Linux.

Why VMWare when you could use Win4Lin.  It is 1/3 the price and performs
MUCH better.  It also iirc has a server version so you could use with
LTSP. Runs on Debian great too. ;)  Much like VMWare you still need the
'windows' license, but it will be MUCH more stable than wine (which
sucks for most things)

> 	Most like Linux already, (though they can't be converted until the major=
=20
> database is no longer an access database in june) and there is actually s=
ome=20
> level of fascination with non-windows platform.

Look at pgadminII to quickly convert from Access to Postgres.  I would
be willing to give free consulting to aid in that area.  I am that much
in opposition to the demon called Access, Im willing to donate time to
free people from that bondage.

> 	We'll see.  Though if it isn't packing a BIG WINE punch, it looks like I=
 may=20
> be crossing Lindows off my list for the time being.

I would border on saying you are better off running Windows than
Lindows.  It is that evil. ;)

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise