Lindows

Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:04:38 -0700 (MST)

Am 04. Apr, 2003 schw=E4tzte Ed Skinner so:

>       I would have two concerns, one major, one minor.
>       My major concern would be using the default Lindows configuration w=
hich
> runs the user as 'root'. A really bad, bad idea that leaves the system in=
 an
> extremely vulnerable state. But I'm also told that this can be changed so
> that normal users run as normal Linux users. If you do that, I'd say the
> major problem is fixed.

When I saw they shipped with root as the default login I wiped it.

Having a default lindows user and using a suexec to fire up utils that need
root would've been bad enough, but defaulting to login as root says they
don't understand security well enough to be used in a home environment, muc=
less a business environment.

>      The minor problem is that your company will have to pay for Lindows
> itself and for the subscription that enables upgrades. If your system

That's not a problem. The business should be paying for support anyway.
Maybe not necessarily $100/box, but businesses should pay for support for
the tools they use. This especially holds true for infrastructure.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.