Lindows

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 06:44:28 -0700

On Friday 04 April 2003 19:24, Kyle Faber wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2003 06:42 pm, Jim wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, why Lindows?
[snip snip]
> From their website, I got the idea that perhaps they have made WINE
> intergration a priority.  Still being stuck with a lot of windows apps
> (engineering mostly, for which there are no OS equivalents), a distro that
> would have a possibility of running some of those apps is what I was hoping
> for.

     Good point.
     The expectation may be that, with Lindows, everyone can run all their
Microsoft-based programs, or that the Lindows technical support staff will
make everything work. But I don't think that will happen. I don't think
Lindows (or WINE) will *ever* be able to do this. Some Windows programs may
never perform to the user's satisfaction in Lindows/WINE.
     My guess is you will want to have (or develop, or hire/contract) a fair
bit of expertise with WINE regardless of what Lindows (or RedHat, for that
matter) does. And even with that, you'll want to set the expectations of
others carefully. There will be those for whom a Microsoft Operating System
will remain as the best choice.

--
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/