XKeyboard layouts

Kyle Faber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 17:02:46 -0700

Ok, so I have recently acquired a Microsoft Office keyboard from a friend=
 who=20
hated it.  (large desk footprint, few other reasons)

I would love the irony of using this keyboard under linux, since the MS=20
hardware department is a losing venture (as is every other department bes=
ides=20
windows and office)  So I like the idea that I am costing MS money.  Anyw=
ay,=20
back to my problem.

It has all kinds of extra buttons that are not part of the current XFree8=
6=20
keyboard layout.  Some of them are, but most not.  I am able to get the=20
signals from xev (X Event Viewer)  but now I am stuck as to what to do wi=
th=20
them.

Some lite research has pointed me to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/ and the keyb=
oard=20
layout files in there.  But I am stumped as to where I could just write=20
"signal X =3D button Y"  or is it not that easy?

--=20
Kyle Faber
Account Manager
EMR Internet
kyle@emr.net
623-581-0842 voice
623-582-9499 fax

**EMR Internet - Residential & Business Solutions for YOUR business! **

* Dial-up
* DSL
* Web-hosting
* Server Co-Location