Question on building a new kernel

Bart Garst plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:18:10 -0700

The default RedHat kernel configs come with the kernel source.
There's a dozen or so of them in /usr/src/linux-{version}/configs. They all
have a .config extension.

Are you upgrading from the original kernel that shipped with 7.3? I have
those CDs and can e-mail the config files if you don't have access to them.

Bart

First let me say that I am not comfortable building linux kernels.  I
always seem to lose more functionality than I gain.  Building Tru64 (aka
Digital Unix aka OSF1) or HPUX kernels, however, is much easier (at least
to me).  Anyway....

I have a RH 7.3 system installed.  When it was installed, the kernel
sources where not.  I have since downloaded kernel 2.4.20.  I want to add
video for linux and usb support.  How do I "extract" the current
configuration from the running system.  I thought you did this with a
"make oldconfig", but further research on this seems to indicate that a
new kernel config file will be built based on the old, EXISTING, config
file.  Since I dont have an old config file, I dont really get what I
wanted.

Heres a quick summary of what I'd like to be able to do:

1.) get the current kernels configuration (the part I am having difficulty
with)
2.) Add the video for linux and usb support (easy enough via "make
menuconfig")
3.) boot the new kernel and have retained all previous functionality AND
have new functionality too. (this is dependant on #1 and #2).

So, if anyone can help or point me to a "very good" kernel how to, I'd
really appreciate it.

scott

ps

the "how-tos" that I have looked at always seem to be missing that one key
step (for me) that would otherwise "turn on the light".

--
NT makes anything simple, easy, and anything difficult to do, impossible.
Unix makes anything easy to do difficult, and anything difficult to do,