CDR and RedCrap 8

Michael Vanecek plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:03:50 -0600

Normally, the *.0 quirks are something I've been able to deal with. That
was when I could tell RH to do what I wanted it to do. I'm probably
gonna ditch the kudzu. It's been sorta fine so far'ish - but when I know
my hardware, no guessing is needed and I like to be able to go in and
set up my hardware and not have the software mess with the settings -
which is what quirked me off here. They've changed everything up with
the CDR setup and seemingly forgot that some people add such devices
after the fact of install. However, unfortunately, RH has entered the
number-game - everything from now on is going to be a *.0. "8.1" is
going to be 9.0. Seems that not enough people were purchasing their *.0
products prefering instead to wait til the *.1. So, either everything is
going to be a typical *.0 (pass the aspirin please), or we can assign
shadow version numbers to it - 8.1=9.0, 8.2=10.0, etc... :)

I finally got the CDR to work - felt like a poodle in a freaking circus
jumping through flaming hoops. That's the price we pay for "ease of use"
- which is probably pretty even across the board for the major distro's
- the pros/cons reviews I've seen leave none of them clearly ahead of
the pack. Been eyeballing Slack again, tho...but I've been with RH since
the early days and even though they've changed things up, so have
everyone with Linux's sudden fame. Grub is yet another change...it's
just a pain to learn one way and suddenly have your distro change tracks
totally. I got used to it doing what I told it to. That's what I hated
about Microshaft. Quirks - so far, RH's CD player is a bit hosed - CDDB2
crashed often and the player doesn't loop, modem-lights is a bit hosed
and has to be manually tweaked, CDR is a lot hosed for after-the-fact
installs, NVidia drivers have to be redone every kernel upgrade, and a
ton of other little insignificant stuff. The only major farting I had
was with the blasted CDR - the howtos and documentation for all the
other quirks were pretty much dead on, give or take, but *none* of the
documentation was even close with the CDR and it took serious
head-banging to get any headway with that. I don't post here often
because the documentation for just about everything is good. But darned
if the CDR didn't screw the pooch. That shouldn't be so for such a
common item - but I guess the testers already have CDR's installed and
didn't think about what would happen if one were installed later. But
then, this is free software after all - if software ain't draining my
wallet, then it's putting head-shaped dents in my wall. :) Now...all the
non-desktop stuff is top-notch - I love iptables and all the neat toys
and servers. Just, I've been using this as my primary desktop for
something like 6 years and have so far been very happy with it...until
they started changing things suddenly.

Cheers,
Mike