Undo faith in GRUB and RH7.3 means I can't access my XP partition. Please help.

Thomas Tate plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
30 Sep 2002 12:37:34 -0700

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 10:51, Mark Berkwitt wrote:
> I tried a dual boot install of RH7.3 after XP was installed first.
> I've had good success with RH lately so I figured I could let grub write to
> hda instead of hda3 '/'.
> I tried using my xp cd to do a repair but I can't remember my Admin
> password.
> I can still boot into RH via grub or floppy so how can I either fix the mbr
> (return to boot xp) or secondly tame grub to offer both os's at boot?
> I do happen to have a win98 2ed, floppy, dos boot disk.
> I'm afraid to just try something, but I could use one of the older os's to
> do >fdisk /mbr. Is the syntax ok?

Actually, IIRC, you should be able to boot XP by adding the following
commands to GRUB's menu.lst file (usually located in /boot/grub):

	title Windows XP
	root (hd0,?)
	chainloader +1

Since GRUB loads it's config directly from the filesystem, you don't
have to re-run it after the edits. Alternatively, when GRUB's menu comes
up you can press 'c' to get to a command prompt and issue the following
commands to boot XP:

	root (hd0,?)
	chainloader +1
	boot

Replace the ? with the partition number of wherever XP is installed.
Keep in mind, though, that GRUB's partition numbers start from zero, so
hda1 = (hd0,0)

HTH

--
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate