Anybody using Pentium 4 for Linux?

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:34:30 -0400

Not trying to get off topic about motherboard problems, but I've been in component electronics for over 17 years, I've seen VR's put out voltage way over their rating without giving out, I've seen bridges melt and still give proper voltage, etc...  It was a P3 933 mHz runing various distros, I've had it for over a year.

My guess is that dust on the board mixed with the dry air must have caused some sort of short.  I've from the South and just moved here.  The air is VERY dry here where a wrist strap is required when working on components.  It is optional in the south but recommended although I've always used them.

I researched from mainly Red Hat, Mandrake, and Suse for hardware specs before I bought what I had.  I've heard that Linux has had problems with AMD and P4 processors. I want it to work.  I thinking of building a P4 type system but I want it to work unhandicapped.  I haven't seen any P4 motherboard specs that I've been looking into buying OK'd on the hardware list.

My thinking last year was if I am going to buy a new system, It will be for Linux since I'm over M$.  What I had last year is discontinued now.  The other thing I'm looking for is to see if anyone is using a P4 system for running Linux.