I need advice on building 4 linux boxes.

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:45:52 -0700

On Thursday 26 September 2002 10:35 pm, you wrote:
> This is why I'm posting this question.
>
> I would prefer the pricing and power/$ of AMD processors but Intel
> processors generally run cooler requiring a cheaper case, PS, HSF,
> electric/AC bill and it's quieter. These will be placed in one small room.
> (Of course energy consumption probably isn't a meaningful point until the
> day we can talk about inexpensive flat-panel monitors.)
 <SNIP>
> Thanks.

Check out www.mwave.com. They make for E-Z one stop shopping and will
assemble the CPU, RAM, Mobo for you for a small fee. I've spent thousands of
dollars with them and have always gotten fair pricing, fast service and NO
DOAs.

In-Win makes one of the best cases and the LinkWorld 616 µ-ATX is a nice
cheap case that runs very quiet. About $30 at www.pcbay.com, I think.

I've used Abit, ASUS, AOpen, SuperMicro, GigaByte maainboards with no
problems.

For price and performance I'd go with the AMD Duron, less the $50 for 900mHz
>! I also like the VIA CPUs as they put out virtually no heat and perform
well enough for typical email, office, surfing apps.

I'm not a gamer so my recommendations may far short in that area.

Dennis Kibbe