root problems!

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:15:37 -0700

I am about to display by bad admin skills for all to see.  I need help.

I attempted to run the send-keys (recv-keys) script to put my key on the
servers.  I got the error "bash: ./send-keys: /bin/sh: bad interpreter:
Permission denied"  OK, /bin/sh exists but I must not have permission to use
the "sh" shell.  I went to su as root and did "chmod 666 /bin/sh" and then
"exit".  The send-keys command gave me the same error.

Then, I attempted to su to root again and got this: "su: cannot run /bin/bash:
Permission denied"  I cannot su to root anymore!  That chmod command I did to
/bin/sh messed up root and bash!  Now how do I fix it when I cannot log in as
root!  Are we talking emergency boot disk or something here?  I don't know
what to do from here to get my access to root back.

Slap my hands if you want but tell me how to get my root access back!

Alan