Problem creating keys with GPG

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:10:45 -0700

All this talk about signing has spurred me to set it up on my email.  I am
having a problem however.

I am using gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.6.  As instructed by the KMail help file, I am
running the command "gpg --gen-key" on the command line to create my keys.  I
have gone down through the list of questions until it asks for my "Real name"
Here is what happened:

<paste from console>
You need a User-ID to identify your key; the software constructs the user id
from Real Name, Comment and Email Address in this form:
    "Heinrich Heine (Der Dichter) <heinrichh@duesseldorf.de>"

Real name: Alan Dayley <alandd@consultpros.com>
Invalid character in name
Real name: Alan Dayley <alandd@consultpros.com>
Invalid character in name
Real name: Alan Dayley (Alan) <alandd@consultpros.com>
Invalid character in name
Real name: "Alan Dayley <alandd@consultpros.com>"
Invalid character in name
Real name:
</paste from console>

So here I sit wondering what character is invalid in the 4 attempts above and
how do I proceed from here.  Any hints?

Alan