Red Hat Desktop Integration

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:41:19 -0700

See http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/rh-desktop.html

> The fact that I have different desktop options is one of the
> things I really like about Linux.

To the best of my knowledge, you'll still have these options.  As I
understand it, Red Hat has provided a similar default look and feel to
both KDE and GNOME apps so that it won't be quite so obvious that
they were built using different toolkits.  You'll still be able to
tinker with the settings if you wish.

> Ximian GNOME is awesone.  I haven't used GNOME yet, just Ximian
> GNOME.  KDE is good, but it's not nearly as rich as Ximian GNOME's
> desktop environment.  If Red Hat wants to standardize a Linux
> desktop, they might as well call themselves MS Linux.  I'll have a
> critique about this up at http://www.linuxprofessional.net soon.
> Thoughts on this?  I'd like to include everyone's input.

You will be trying Red Hat's desktop *before* writing your critique,
won't you?  (It sounds to me like you've already formed an opinion.)

Kevin