Ok, so LTSP doesn't fit my needs... so how about this??

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
25 Sep 2002 16:03:23 -0700

Have you looked at the local programs (?) package for LTSP? It allows
programs to run locally on the client's resources except for the hrd
disc wich is still an NFS share.  I'm not sure about the accuracy of all
of this information but I thik it's what you're looking for.