Free Software for m$

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
24 Sep 2002 07:54:50 -0700

> Signing???  What's up with that.

RFC 2440 explains a bit.  http://www.gnupg.org/ is also a source of
information.

> At any rate, it breaks any hope of searching archived emails, because
> obviously a Find function doesn't search attachments.

The mailing list archive seems to handle it fine...

http://pluglist.macrosift.com/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-September/030374.html

and likely there should be a search tool for the archive.  Also, if you
have an RFC compliant email reader its search functionality would work
as well, because only the PGP signature would be an attachment.

> It also makes reading email with Pine, or Outlook 97 for that matter, a
> real bother.

I read PGP signed mail with Pine regularly (well used to over ssh) and
never had a problem.  I cant speak for Outlook97 though Outlook98 seems
to handle them fine.

> Seems right up there with HTML-ized email for "Rarely, if ever, needed."

This is a matter of opinion.  I pgp everything, because I think that
people need to understand that its available and what its for. In this
day and age of privacy concerns it would do well to understand these
things so when you have the need to send secure email its easy to as its
just a matter of encrypting because you are used to using keys.

Also, with it being easy to spoof peoples email, I like trying to take
the steps to assure that people understand the email I send is really
coming from me.

> [dismount soapbox]
>
> Ahh, the curse of the Installed Base.

Again, if the majority of the list has a problem with signed messages, I
wont sign messages for this list.  FWIW: I think PLUG's fearless leader
(Jim Farli) also signs messages to this list.  In fact, it was him who
spurred me to set up my keys again. :)  That and long privacy
conversations with Hans on a 13 hour road trip.  (I am not much a
champion for privacy as I am for freedom, but I realize that I shouldnt
wait until its too late to use my voice) ;)

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise

Was I helpful?  Let others know: